After the month we wrap it up by celebrating and having a fun time eating flap jacks for breakfast and playing games like the pioneer children might have played. We do gunny sack races, 3 and 5 legged races, Duck,Duck, Goose and Button, Button, Who's got the button?
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Pioneer Day Part 1
On June 2nd, I had my annual Pioneer Day at the Clark County Fairgrounds. I've done this for about 8 or 9 years now. During the last month of school I take the children on a simulation of the Oregon Trail. During that month I put them into families and then a wagon train. They love getting a new identity. Before they leave they have to make a supply list of what it is they are taking in their wagons. They are only allowed to take 1,000 BWU (Bulk Weight Units
). They need to make a concise list since this is all they'll have along the way. They also choose a wagon master which makes the ultimate decisions for each train. This program helps them to make real life decisions and it also helps them to cooperate and learn to get along.
After the month we wrap it up by celebrating and having a fun time eating flap jacks for breakfast and playing games like the pioneer children might have played. We do gunny sack races, 3 and 5 legged races, Duck,Duck, Goose and Button, Button, Who's got the button?
At lunch time I feed them lunch. I make it simple on myself so I don't cook pioneer type foods like I used to but they don't care. I just served hot dogs, potatoe salad, chips and had some delicious watermelon. Later in the day I make a couple of different kinds of homemade ice cream. Some of the children have never seen or tasted homemade ice cream, so it was a treat for all.
Here you can see my class doing some of the activites I mentioned.
After the month we wrap it up by celebrating and having a fun time eating flap jacks for breakfast and playing games like the pioneer children might have played. We do gunny sack races, 3 and 5 legged races, Duck,Duck, Goose and Button, Button, Who's got the button?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment