Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Graduation Day

Well today was a wonderful day! I had a doctor's appointment today with the knee surgeon. I went to the appointment with my lovely brace on. This contraption has been my constant companion for weeks now. Dr. Parry originally told me that I would be wearing this stabilizer for 6 weeks. After two weeks of miserable sleeping with my lovely friend, I begged the doctor to allow me to take it off to sleep. I was surprised, but he said I could take it off at night. I immediately thought the following night would be wonderful, but much to my dismay sleeping was still very uncomfortable, however much better than with it on. It took a few nights being careful and taking pain meds, but sleeping has gradually gotten better. This Friday would be 5 weeks so I actually got out of this a week early. Hurray!
When I got to the office they x-rayed me to see how it was healing. He was pleased with the progress of the bones healing but saw that I needed practice walking better so he said I could graduate out of the brace. He didn't need to beg me that's for sure. I gladly put it away. This is a side shot of my knee but the front view shows how nice and centered my knee cap is now.
I told the doctor that I had to blog this so I wanted a picture of him for my blog. He said, "Well I think since this is about the knee I should take a picture of your leg", so he grabbed my camera and took some shots of me. I'm very pleased how nicely the scar looks. For me, this is a very nice looking scar.

















And here's the hero of the day, Dr. Todd Parry! Thanks doc, you did a great job!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Wendy said...

HI BECKY!
Your smile says it all! I'm so glad you are healing and your positive attitude is what is probably helping the most. Thanks so much for sharing your blog with me. I'm not that great at this kind of stuff but I'm interested in how you are doing. I was telling (Ryan's wife) Alex's grandmother about you because she just recently had surgery too. They are coming for lunch and a short tour of the Lost City Museum today. I hope you don't mind if I show her your pictures. She is still in quite a bit of pain every day and now is worried about her other knee since it has been compensating for the "fixed" one for so long. Are you having that same issue?

Please tell Hiedie we said "HI!" and at some point need to get cuts and color.

Take care!
Love,
Wendy