Sunday, May 3, 2009

May Day 2009

Well May Day arrived once again. Last Friday night, May 1st, we had our annual May Day Dance. This has been a tradition in this valley since before my mother was in school. Various people through the years have tried to get rid of this deep tradition but those of us who believe in tradition keep fighting for it to stay. The 3rd grade does a traditional square dance to the tune of Cotton Eyed Joe. The children love doing this dance and get good at it very quickly. We just started teaching it to them after spring break. They learned it in what equaled about two weeks of practices.
Here you can see them doing a do-si-do. My class is the front square and the one behind them. The entire 3rd grade does the dance together.











That evening it was quite windy before the dance but when it came time to start the wind calmed down and it turned out to be a beautiful evening. The crowd was huge and I think everyone had a great time.
I've been the caller for this dance ever since we've been doing this particular dance, which has been several years. I think I could call this dance in my sleep.
Well now another May Day has passed. We put it away for another year.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: