Sunday, March 21, 2010

What A DAY!!!!! Part 1


On March 6th we had a new water softener installed. Ours broke a couple of years ago and we just haven't replaced it. Our water where we live is so hard and has so many impurities in it that we've been noticing for a while now the bad signs that come with hard water. We decided that we should do something about it before it caused more damage so we got a new water system and a reverse osmosis system too, so we will have pure and clean water to drink. Well a week later on March 13th, Duane woke up and went into the kitchen to get his daily glass of orange juice and when he stepped on the rug in front of the kitchen sink it was sopping wet. He came in to ask me if I had spilled any water on the floor. I told him that I hadn't and we started our investigation. We suspected that it might be coming from under the sink but it was dry as a bone. We searched and searched and couldn't see the source of the water. My wood floor was all buckling and cracking and then I went over to the kitchen table. Under the table the wood looked bad too. Then I went into the laundry and it had been wet and was still damp. It was also ruined. Then I went out into the garage. Around the water softner in the garage was a pond of water. I immediately called the water softner man. He came over and he was stumped as well. Then we finally found the problem.


When he looked behind the washing machine we saw the problem. His men had installed this red line but had forgotten to put the drain line for the water softner into the drain. In this picture it is fixed, but at the time the red line was just laying by the blue handle and so when it recycled, all the water just drained onto my wood floor. He very quickly had his man put the white line onto the red one and then stick it way down into the drain. He immediately tried to tell me it wasn't his fault nor mine so I should just call my insurance and file a claim. Later when I told him that clearly it was his fault and I wanted him to fix it with his insurance he told me his brother could fix my floor.


I did some checking and found out that his brother really didn't know much about wood floors and so I could see that we would have a fight on our hands. I decided to call my insurance and inform them of the damage and they immediately said to file a claim and then they would replace my floor first and then go after his insurance company.


Well as you can see, they sent a company out to check underneath the floor for moisture. They found some areas very wet and so in order to avoid a mold problem, they had to tear up half my floor. The adjustor came out last Friday and said that they would be replacing the whole floor but they would only pay the company that checks for water damage the amount to tear up the wet part. The rest of it will be torn up by the flooring company when they actually replace it.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

runningfan said...

Wow! Sorry about your beautiful floor. I hope the guy's insurance will end up paying for it.