Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Our Garden


You have to know that gardening is my hobby and outlet. It has been really killing me that I can't get out and garden. After being at the ward garden party I was feeling very sad that I couldn't plant my garden. I'd given up the idea of having a garden after many years of having one. Between having a bad back and having knee surgery I just decided that I couldn't have one this year. We love having a years supply of our own onions and having lots of tomatoes to eat and give away. When I was standing up at the ward planting party Sister Wilson handed me a bunch on onions and said, "Here take these, we have thousands, and no one will care." After we got home Duane started in tilling up the garden and getting it ready for planting again.


You can tell he used to be a cement finisher by the way he levels the garden.


You can see the holes that were made by Lloyd's onion planting tool. It digs the holes the perfect depth and distance apart. It makes it so much easier and quicker to plant.


Duane planted 65 red onions but I wanted some yellow ones as well. Another neighbor came by and said she had a lot left and she would bring them over and give them to us. We ended up planting around 250 yellow onions and then I wanted tomatoes. I went to Overton and got some tomatoes and then Duane planted 15 tomatoe plants too. So there you have it. We weren't even going to have a garden and now we have at least onions and tomatoes. Yippee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Houston Family said...

FUN! We are getting excited for our garden again this year. You are inspiring me!

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful!